[ New Search ]


---

St Matthews Anglican Church

Source: Go to the Register of the National Estate for more information.
Identifier: 6523
Location: 146 Kensington Rd, Marryatville
Local
Government:
Norwood, Payneham & St Peters
State: SA
Country: Australia
Statement of
Significance:
An early Church of England building made from local materials. The pews were constructed primarily by the parishioners from cedar. During Bishop Short's residence in Kensington, he and his family did much to further the establishment of the Church, Sunday school and choir.

(The Commission is in the process of developing and/or upgrading official statements for places listed prior to 1991. The above data was mainly provided by the nominator and has not yet been revised by the Commission.)
Description: Building: Built on land granted by the South Australian Company. Consecrated in 1849. Building was discussed, 18 April 1848, by a meeting with the Lord Bishop of Adelaide at Kensington. Foundation stone laid by the Colonial Secretary Colonel A M Mundy on 22 May 1848. Original building and furniture cost 710 pounds eight shillings and sixpence. In February 1849 Miss Seton presented a font of white Sydney stone, by E Blackett, architect of St Andrew's Cathedral, Sydney.
---


Report produced : 31/10/2014
AHPI URL : http://www.heritage.gov.au/ahpi/search.html