[ New Search ]


---

Lighthouse Keepers Cottages (3) and Sheds

Source: Go to the Register of the National Estate for more information.
Identifier: 7460
Location: Cape Du Couedic Rd, Parndana
Local
Government:
Kangaroo Island District
State: SA
Country: Australia
Statement of
Significance:
The complex, comprising the Cape du Couedic lighthouse keepers' cottages (three) and store, built between 1907-1909, is significant because of its association with the Cape Du Couedic Lighthouse, and its ability to demonstrate working and living conditions of employees stationed in this isolated area. (Criterion A.4). The complex is significant because of its high degree of integrity, retaining all of the buildings originally constructed between 1907 and 1909. The location of the complex within an extensive National Park, and its relative isolation, has meant that very little in the way of development or agricultural activity has impacted on the vicinity of the area (Criteria B.2, D.2).
Description: In the Marine Board Report No 93 of 1902, it was advocated to build a new lighthouse at ‘the south side of Kangaroo Island, which is so dangerous by reason of this rocky coast’. The site recommended was Cape du Couedic, at the south-west extremity of the Island, named by Captain Baudin in honour of the famous Franch captain. The Cape and nearby water had for many years been the site of numerous shipping mishaps and catastrophies, one of the first being the barque Mars, wrecked in 1875. Two years later the Emily Smith struck disaster, just north of the Cape. Five years after the Marine Board's initial recommendations, plans for a lighthouse complex were finally completed. These included drawings for a circular masonry lighthouse, three masonry houses, water tanks, stores, a flying fox and a cast-iron/timber jetty. For further information concerning the other places, refer to Cape Du Couedic Lighthouse (File No 3/9/71/5/1 - Rr No. 7436) and Cape Du Couedic Flying Fox and Associated Structures (File No 3/9/71/26 - Rr No 7461) in the Register of the National Estate Database. The lighthouse and three houses were completed between 1906 and 1909. They were constructed of local limestone and are fine examples of early twentieth century building skills. The three cottages are known as Troubridge, Karatta and Parndana. The cottages are of a simple, rectangular plan capped by a distinct pyramidal hipped roof. They are of well built masonry construction with plastered quoins. Imported asbestos-cement shingles are an early use of this cladding material. All three houses have a simple yet functional interior. Of particular note are the fireplace surrounds. The separate fuel store, three slate roofed cottages with stone rainwater tanks make a well preserved complex. All the land and buildings, except the lighthouse, have been transferred to the South Australian Government to form an integral part of Flinders Chase National Park.
---


Report produced : 23/10/2014
AHPI URL : http://www.heritage.gov.au/ahpi/search.html