|The railway reached Sandhurst in 1862 and in the following years tenders
were awarded to Collier and Barry for the extension of the line to Echuca.
The brick station building at Echuca was constructed for the Railways in 1864
by contractors R. Abraham & Co. Alterations to this building were carried out
in 1877 by contractors Walker and Halliday with the addition of the purveyor's
residence above the refreshment room and an extension to the ground level
The double gable roofed brick goods shed was also built in 1864 by J. Irons.
The locomotive depot buildings comprise the engine shed (HBR No. 1060), water
tower and 70 foot turntable. The shed was built in 1864 by J Walker, and the
water tower in 1877 by Roberts and Son. The iron footbridge with timber
approach steps was added to the complex in 1880 by Johnson & Co.
The Echuca railway complex has historic and architectural importance to the
state of Victoria.
* The railway complex at Echuca has an association with the economic
development of Victoria. Once the busiest non-metropolitan station for a
period during the ninteenth century, its pre-eminence only being surpassed
at different times by Geelong and Ballarat, the line to Echuca was built
to tap the rich Murray trade as well as the gold trade of the Bendigo
area. The size and details of the complex, particlularly the substantial
two-storeyed station building, the double gable roofed brick goods shed
and the rectangular Italianate engine shed with oculus and round arched
arcading, demonstrate the importance of not only Echuca within the state
but also the importance of the railway line to the economic growth of
* The complex has an association with the railway line known during its
construction as the Melbourne and River Murray railway, the largest of
the Colony's first two main trunk lines, the other being Geelong to
Ballarat line. This railway line i significant for its close adoption
of British engineering and architectural standards and survives as a
monument to the work of engineers-in-chief George Christian Darbyshire
(1856-60) and Thomas Higinbotham (1860-78).
* The complex includes buildings which are rare and essentially intact
examples of a building type. The locomotive depot buildings have a high
level of integrity. The engine shed retains its slate roof with lantern
and smoke vents and inside, iron trlusses hold the roof and remains of
rooms survive at the north end. The water tank and tank house compares
with Bendigo (tank removed) and is the most intact of its type.
The goods shed retains its massive timber, cast and wrought iron trusses.
The footbridge is a unique surviving design incorporting cast iron