[ New Search ]
FORMER VICTORIAN RAILWAY HEADQUARTERS
||Go to the Victorian Heritage Register for more information.
||67 SPENCER STREET MELBOURNE
|What is significant?
The former Victorian Railways Administrative Headquarters were opened in 1893. They were built by James Moore to the design of the Victorian Railways Department Engineering Office. The building extends 120 meters along the west side of Spencer Street. The design specified a bluestone construction but instead it was finished with stuccoed brick load bearing walls and stone cores. The building is symmetrical in plan, with the Spencer Street facade divided into five bays. The central bay projects slightly, incorporating the main entrance with heavy banded rustication. The end bays are similarly executed with secondary. The basement walls are rusticated and support three levels with pilasters framing rectangular windows at first floor level, round arched windows at second floor level and segmental arched windows at the third level. Original embellishments above the cornice were removed when additional floors were added and the present building is now capped by segmental pediments and cupolas reminiscent of the design for Flinders Street Station. The fourth floor was added in 1912 and the neo-French style attic was added in 1922. The western facade is largely devoid of decoration. Internally there is a grand staircase flanked by cast iron balusters with a timber balustrade.
How is it significant?
The former Victorian Railways Administrative Headquarters are of historical and architectural significance to the State of Victoria.
Why is it significant?
The former Victorian Railways Administrative Headquarters is historically significant as the head office of the Victorian Railways Department from 1888 until 1985. It demonstrates the extraordinary expansion of Victoria's railways during the 1880s, and of the administration required to operate it. The site of the Headquarters has a long association with the railways, having been developed as the site of the first railway terminus in 1852.
The former Victorian Railways Administrative Headquarters is architecturally significant as the largest nineteenth century office building in Victoria.
Report produced : 2/3/2015
AHPI URL : http://www.heritage.gov.au/ahpi/search.html